This beautiful shrine was where Tokugawa Ieyasu (then Matsudaira Takechiyo)
was consecrated as a baby. The brilliant vermilion colored shrine was renovated
on the orders of his grandson, Tokugawa Iemitsu, when he visited Okazaki in
1634 on his way to Kyoto.
The beautiful gate was built by the Iemitsu's son and successor, Tokugawa Ietsuna,
the 4th shogun of the line. Both the Main Hall and Hall of Worship are protected
as national important cultural properties.
These days the shrine is popular with women praying for an easy childbirth,
and with tourists enjoying the peace and quiet and the opportunity to walk in
the footsteps of daimyo.
Myoudaiji-mimitori 44, Tel: 51-2930
The shrine is about a 5-minute walk from Meitetsu Higashi Okazaki Station.