Takisanji and Takisan Toshogu

The foundation of Takisanji dates back to the 7th century when it was constructed on imperial orders. The current temple is a reconstruction from the Kamakura period, and the Main hall (where the fire festival takes place each February), Sanmon gate and the Goddess of Mercy are designated as national important cultural properties. The roof of the main hall and the magnificent Sanmon gate are particularly striking. Next to Takisanji is a shrine built in 1646 by Tokugawa Iemitsu and dedicated to his grandfather Ieyasu. This shrine is considered to be one of the top 3 Toshogu style shrines in Japan, the other two being at Nikko and Kunozan. The Main Hall, the Hall of Worship, the Nakamon Gate and the Torii Gate are all designated as national important cultural properties. (back to top)

How to get to there:
From Higashi Okazaki north along Route 248, at the crossroads with the 5m gorilla on the roof turn right - the same crossroads as going for Daijuji. Follow that street past Daijuji and the Prefectural Multi-purpose Athletic Ground. From Daijuji it's about 25min by bicycle. A nice ride with convenience stores along the street for the hungry and thirsty.



index